The holidays have settled and the new year is approaching. It is a good time to reflect on the passing year. It is hard to believe that a year has passed and so much has happened at our little studio. We may be small but I have discovered that the community that we have developed around our yoga has a spirit and heart that is BIG! I am so proud of the yoga community that we have created.
So before moving forward into 2010, I must first reflect. This is how I saw our yoga studio community come together...
- Last year at this time I was so excited to reveal our expanded space. We survived the renovation and we created more space and wonderful light! It is hard to imagine how we worked in the old room. A year of natural light...it has been wonderful!
- We introduced this new blog "Looking for Space". I really had no idea how this blog was going to develop and it has been exciting watching the body of work grow. Amazingly, it has seen over 6000 page views! I look forward to it continuing to grow and develop.
- We added new classes to our yoga schedule. Due to the increased needs of our students, we continue to add classes when needed. (This continues in 2010)
- We raised money for the Ontario Heart and Stroke Foundation with the fun "I LOVE Yoga because..." wall. It was inspirational looking at all the many reasons why we are individually drawn to a yoga practice.
- We collected boxes of used books to donate to the Oakville Literary Council for their annual book fair. Not only were we able to lighten our shelves at home, but by donating we helped out those in need. Win/Win!
- We ran a Thanksgiving Food Drive to donate to our local FoodShare.
- Our "Unguided Meditation Evenings" raised money to donate to the local charity Home Suite Hope. An organization to help the homeless in our community. Our moments in silence reached beyond our own experiences. Thank you for joining me! (This term our "Unguided Meditation Evenings" will raise money for the Ian Anderson House)
- We had a very successful Holiday Pajama Drive for the Halton Children's Aid Society. We collected over 65 pairs of pajamas! Happily I can report that the pajamas were delivered to the Children's Aid Society in time for them to distribute to their children before Christmas. The tradition continues of cozy new pajamas for Christmas! Thank You!
- We increased our presence in the Oakville community and beyond. It is obvious that we are a yoga studio with a group of students who have a dedicated yoga practice and who also reach out to help.
- We welcomed many many new students to the studio and at the same time welcomed back many ongoing students. Through this growth, we have still maintained an intimate connection with all of our students. For that we are truly thankful!
- Our students and teachers continued to work deeply in their own yoga practices. There have been times of struggle, times of breakthroughs and moments of clarity. It is magical watching it all unfold on our yoga floor...whatever unfolds.
- This year marks the third year of the opening of Creating Space Yoga Studio. Three years ago it was a dream now it is a thriving reality. Thank you!
It is important to reflect. It is more important to look forward. 2010 will be promising...I can feel it!